06 December 2011

China #6: Chinese traditions

Interesting fact for today: do you know why wedding rings are worn on the fourth finger of the left hand? The reason is because your heart is on the left side of your body, and the vein that runs through your fourth finger is also the vein that pumps blood to your heart- so it is believed that when you get married, your heart belongs to your other half and so the ring is used as a cap to secure that bond. Not sure if this is a Chinese tradition but I found it very interesting :) .

Im sick of people thinking im 14! T.T This morning we visited a traditional Chinese medicine center where we got a free herbal foot bath and massage. The guy saw me and said, "sorry kids not allowed". >:( my dad laughed and told him I was no kid... Anyway, my masseuse told me as he was rubbing vaseline like gel on my foot (it was really awkward at first) that I don't do enough exercise so my blood doesn't flow very fast- therefore bad circulation and cold hands!

Lunch was fun today. Instead of our usual stop at a restaurant, we were kindly welcomed into the house of a friendly old couple where they cooked a banquet for us. This was just to give us an 'authentic' Beijing experience, so kind of them though up let a group of strangers into their home! (they get reimbursed any expenses by the government.)

Okay I'm on the bus now on the way to a town on the outskirt of Beijing - 'Cheng De'. Apparently it's gonna be -15 degrees there tonight :( 2hr bus tide ahead, no toilet stop and I really have to pee! yikes.

I miss the warmth of the sun! Argh this gloomy weather is bringing down my mood. Making me feel homesick >:( I miss all my friends and I want to upload Marie's video :( YouTube disabled the sound! Anybody know how to fix that? I don't have the original file with me here :(

So that's all for today. It's super foggy and cold. Hope tomorrow will bring more smiles,

Love Chloe, who misses you.

1 comment:

  1. I misss you lots and lots! The weather is really terrible back at home so you're not missing out on any sunshine! Don't worry about the video i can wait until you come back :) hehe i learnt my 8 major chords on the guitar! hopefully i will improve and play some kind of song by the time you get back! stay warm and fuzzzzy <3

    ReplyDelete